Associate Professor; Director of African Languages Program; Director Study Abroad Program- South Africa
486L University Hall
230 North Oval Mall
Columbus, Ohio 43210
Areas of Expertise
- Issues of Language and Culture in Africa
- Southern African History and Politics
- Southern African languages and literatures
- M.A., University of Lancaster, England, 1979
- Ph.D., University of Texas at Austin, 1989
- B.A., University of Malawi, 1972
Professor Mphande's current research interests include the interface between phonology and morphology and its impact on the current phonological theory, Southern African languages and literatures, Southern African history and politics, and issues of language and culture in Africa.
Professor Mphande is also a published poet, and recent publications have been in the area of language, literature and culture in Africa.